Tribal Habits' Pathways allow you to group topics or articles together for a single learning experience.
- A Pathway represents a collection of topics or articles where explorers are enrolled in the Pathway and can then work their way through each of the topics or articles in the Pathway.
- Pathways appear on the explorer dashboard as a collection of topics or articles, with a separate Pathway title and Pathway status.
How do I create a Pathway?
Only Administrators can create new Pathways. In the Admin area of your portal, proceed to the Knowledge section and the Pathways tab. From there you can select the 'New Pathway' option.
When you create a new Pathway, you must...
- Give it a title.
- Select the initial topics or articles for the Pathway. You can simply drag and drop topics and articles from your portal into the 'Mandatory topics' and/or ‘Optional topics’ for that Pathway. You can also drag and drop to remove or reorder topics in the Pathway.
- You can then save your Pathway and it's ready to go.
What are Mandatory and Optional topics?
Each topic or article in a Pathway is either Mandatory or Optional.
Mandatory knowledge is listed first. These are topics or articles which MUST be conquered by an explorer to conquer the Pathway.
- You can use the checkbox option in ‘Edit knowledge’ panel for a Pathway to allow explorers to complete mandatory topics and articles in any order or to force completion in the order listed (if so, topics and articles are locked until prior topics or articles are conquered).
- You can create a Pathway with just mandatory topics and articles if you like.
Optional knowledge is listed second. These topics or articles may not be required to conquer the Pathway. By default, optional topics and articles are purely optional - they may represent extra knowledge which may be useful, but not critical, to the pathway.
- You can use the checkbox in the ‘Edit knowledge' panel in a Pathway to set a required number of optional topics or articles for completion. For example, you may require that explorers conquer 1 of the 3 optional topics or articles you provide.
- Explorers can always access optional topics or articles at any time in the Pathway.
- You can create a Pathway with just optional topics or articles if you like.
How do I enrol explorers in a Pathway?
Enrolments in pathways are managed the same as enrolments in topics or articles - you can learn more in this detailed article.
How can I view explorer progress through a Pathway?
When you view each Pathway in your Admin area, there is a dedicated Explorers tab which shows all enrolled explorers in that pathway, along with their overall Pathway status (Unexplored, Exploring, Conquered) and per cent complete of the entire pathway.
You can also click on the Pathway status link to review more detailed information on each explorer's progress through a pathway (including which topics and articles have been conquered and when).
What is the 'Pre-enrolled' progress phase?
When you enrol an explorer in a Pathway, we also 'pre-enrol' them in any mandatory topics or articles. This allows the platform to link topic and article enrolments to a specific pathway enrolment (which is critical for retakes). It also improves your topic and article reporting by more accurately reflecting actual and future enrolments in topics and articles.
When an explorer is pre-enrolled in a topic or article, it does not trigger due dates or notifications. It is a 'preparation' phase only. Topic or article due dates and notifications will be triggered only when the explorer reaches the Unexplored or Exploring phases in that topic or article.
How do I unenrol explorers from a Pathway?
From the Explorers tab in a Pathway, you can filter and select explorers and then use the 'Unenrol selected' option at the top of the screen. You can also view the profile of any person and unenrol them in the Pathways panel at the bottom of their profile.
- Note that when you unenrol explorers from a Pathway, they will remain enrolled in any topics or articles they have already started to explore or have already conquered. Those topics or articles will remain on the explorer dashboard, but now displayed as individual topics or articles rather than grouped in the Pathway.
- If you want to delete progress the explorer has already made, you will need to unenrol them from those specific topics or articles.
- If an explorer has not started exploring a topic or article in a Pathway (it is in the 'Pre-enrolled' phase), then they will be unenrolled from that topic or article when they are unenrolled from the Pathway.
Can I use Pathways with library topics?
YES! That's one of the best uses of Pathways in fact.
You can group Development, Compliance, Foundation and your own topics within a Pathway. This might be to group similar Development topics based around a theme, or Compliance topics for a specific role.
You could also combine a Compliance topic with a topic of your own. This might be a Compliance topic on, say, Anti-Bullying which is then followed by a short topic or article of your own which contains your organisation's Anti-Bullying code and asks the explorer to confirm they have read the code and agree to it.
Can I have notifications, due dates and certified dates for Pathways?
You sure can! Pathways can have Due Dates and Certified Dates in the same way topics and articles can. You can choose due dates to be based on the day of enrolment or a fixed date.