The Q&A element is a 'call and response' style element.
After you add the element, there are three choices to complete.
- Question. First, you need to pose a question for the explorer to answer. TIP: Consider the nature of the question you are asking. If you ask a very closed question, which just needs a yes or no answer, perhaps a simple yes or no poll might be better. Use Q&A to have explorers think and answer with more detail.
- Response. Second, you need to prepare a set response which will be shown to the explorer AFTER they provide their answer. TIP: Your response will be the same regardless of the explorer answer. Keep that in mind when creating your response.
- Journal capture? Third, you can select whether the question and the EXPLORER'S answer is copied into their journal. If not, the results will just appear on the screen for the explorer (and in the topic reporting in Admin). By enabling this option, the explorer's answer will also be copied into their journal. This is very handy when you are asking questions about next steps or ideas which you want to explorer to have access to later in their journal. It is also useful when you know the journal might be sent to the explorer's manager or adviser, and you want them to see the answer.
The Q&A element is similar to the Reflect element. Both elements ask explores to answer an open question - the difference is in the feedback to the explorer after they answer.
- With Q&A, the explorer receives feedback from the creator. So this is a good way to keep their contributions private or use Q&A to reveal additional knowledge. Use Q&A to capture private actions or responses, or to use a 'call and response' style of learning.
- With Reflect, the explorer can review answers from other explorers. Reflect is perfect for social learning as it allows explorers to contribute knowledge and compare to their peers. It may reinforce their thinking or challenge them with new ideas.
- Note that the use of the Q&A element requires a Creator subscription.