Knowledge in Tribal Habits can be thought of in two ways:
1. Internal knowledge. This is knowledge which is created and completed within your Tribal Habits platform itself. So this includes topics, articles and pathways including events and SCORM modules within those items. In these cases, the enrolment, tracking and reporting is managed within the platform.
2. External knowledge. This is knowledge which exists outside your Tribal Habits platform. In this case, it is knowledge and training completed in an external environment which your Tribal Habits platform has no immediate tracking or reporting for. This occurs commonly, as your learners are likely to engage with knowledge in external workshops and other training providers.
Our External Knowledge feature allows you to capture this external knowledge within your Tribal Habits platform so that you can have a single view of all knowledge held by your learners.
What types of external knowledge can be recorded?
When a new external knowledge item is created, you can select from four different types of external knowledge.
- Training. Any other training completed outside this learning platform which qualifies for training records - e.g. professional development workshops, external online training, third-party webinars.
- Certification. A certification obtained in a particular skill or competency from a recognised provider - e.g. first aid, Microsoft products, coaching methods, SEO tools.
- Qualification. An academic or vocational qualification obtained from a recognised education provider - e.g. university degrees, postgraduate studies, vocational training.
- License. A licence obtained for a specific tool or vehicle - e.g. drivers license, forklift licence, specialised machinery operations.
How can external knowledge be recorded?
External knowledge can be added for a learner in two ways.
First, by the learner. Individual learners can add external knowledge on their profile page on the dashboard. There is a Record Knowledge button above the History tables.
Second, by an admin. Admins can view a learner's History tab in the admin area and use the Record Knowledge quicklink.
What is recorded when external knowledge is added?
When a new external knowledge item is created, you start by selecting one of the types of external knowledge: training, licence, accreditation or qualification.
For each type of external knowledge, a form is then created for the learner or admin to complete. The form will vary slightly with each type of knowledge, but will capture information including:
- Title, code and provider
- Completion date and expiry date (if any)
- Relevant information like licence or qualification type
- Assessment scores
- Training time
- Continuing education allocation (points or time) when enabled
- General notes
- File uploads for certificates or other relevant files
How is external knowledge tracked?
External knowledge is treated similarly to internal knowledge. It will be visible in the History tables for learners, included in calculations for training time and added to continuing education reporting.
Explorers can review, edit or delete their external knowledge items from their Profile, while Admins can do the same on the the History tab for individual explorers.
Admins can also view all External Knowledge recorded in their portal in the Admin area at Admin/Knowledge/External. This page allows for detailed reporting by people, types of knowledge, completion or expiry dates and more.